Tuesday 17 May 2011

I Am Not Perfect...

But at least I am completely impulsive.  Despite having told myself (and my wife) that I am going to wait until I am back down to 160 lbs before I attempt to begin my running, I have decided that this simply will not do.  After checking out running sites and blogs for the past week or two and then finally starting my own (yesterday) I have decided that there is no time like the present.  Running will commence tomorrow morning...I hope. 
I have been researching available races in my area and I have found one in mid-June.  It offers a 10k and a 5k race.  I think that I will shoot for the 5k as this will be my first race in well over two decades.  My last race was in high school where I finished a solid 27th out of 73 runners in the South Western Ontario finals before throwing up the contents of what I had consumed at the bar the previous evening.  Ahhh, high school.
Tomorrow marks a new beginning as I start the quest for not finishing in last place in a race.  I feel reasonably good at the prospect as I am not as totally out of shape as I was a mere month and a half ago.  I would like to take a moment and thank Max (my dog) for this...we have been averaging about 20k to 25k in walks per week with the occasional sprint thrown in because there is nothing like racing an animal that is much faster than you (especially when you hold the leash.)
I have also made another dietary decision regarding my most favourite of all parts of my diet...BEER.  In order to cut down further on beer consumption I have decided to (mostly) only drink Guinness.  I know, I know.  It sounds crazy but, because Guinness is not as readily available, it will cut down on the possibility that I will drink it.  Also, it is much more expensive than most of the other beverages and, due to my always limited finances, I will only be able to afford so much.  It also makes a delicious treat to reward major accomplishments (like running in my first race in over two decades.)
That is all for now.  Keep tuned for how things are progressing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment