Wednesday 18 May 2011

The Break of Dawn

Actually it was well before the break of dawn when I got up and at 'em this morning.  I set the alarm clock for a quarter after four knowing that I would hit snooze a couple of times before I could actually get up.  I was right...two snooze hits and I was up at 4:33 in the AM.  For some reason I slept fitfully, waking up every hour or two last night.  Maybe it was in anticipation of the journey that I would embark on in the morning.  Or maybe I just slept funny.  At any rate, I got up in time to go for my first run in years.
At about 4:45 I left the house.  I haven't really run for a long time so I decided that I would go for a nice easy run.  5k it was...easy - well, not super easy.  The best runners in the world run 5k in 14 or 15 minutes.  I didn't quite hit that time.  I missed it by about 16 or 17 minutes.  Not great but not too shabby either for an out of shape old guy.  I finished my first 5k run in 31:03.  It hurt a bit.  A little past my halfway mark I started to feel some cramping but other than that it was a piece of cake.
I have to say that I am quite happy.  I went for a run, walked the dog (a really nice way to cool down), ate a breakfast of scrambled eggs and rice with hot sauce, and woke up the family.  Now here I am at the office ready to begin a new day.  Of course, the best part so far was turning my running blog into an actual running blog.  Yay me.  Stay tuned for a full report on what hurts when I wake up tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats!!! on a bunch of things--deciding to make a change in your life, losing the first ump-teen pounds and now your first run and running report.

    And good decision on Guinness, life is too short to drink cheap beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha...the comment on the beer is most certainly the truth. Thanks for the congrats. I really appreciate it. One run down and countless more to go. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete